When you are going to buy a new computer/laptop, The main question in your mind is which data storage device is better SSD or HDD. This article is all about SSD vs HDD, Which is better?
SSD vs HDD Explained
What Is a Solid-State Drive (SSD)?
A solid-state drive (SSD) is a data storage device for your computer. Which provides the same functionality as a traditional hard disk drive (HDD), But SSD is faster than a traditional hard disk drive, And the prize of solid-state drive (SSD) is also more than HDD, There is no moving part in the SSD, All the data is stored in microchips. The data in SSD will be maintained over 200 years, it’s more than human life.
Advantages of using Solid-State Drive (SSD):
- Faster than hard disk drives: As we all know SSD has no moving part So that all data is stored in microchips, Because of that SSD is 20 to 80 times faster than typical hard disk drives (HDD), This is one of the advantages of a solid-state drive.
- Low power consumption: An HDD consumes more power because it has a moving part, An SSD does not have moving parts and it does not require any mechanical work to become operational, Because of that solid-state drive (SSD) consume less power than Hard Disk drive, SSD is suitable for energy-efficient computers and consumer electronic devices
- Compact than hard disk drives: Because SSD does not have any moving and mechanical part, It is more compact than HDD. SSD is more comfortable to carry any ware, This is one of the advantages of use solid-state drive (SSD).
- No noise while in operation: Because SSD does not have any moving and mechanical part, It does not create any noise while operating.
Disadvantages of using Solid-State Drive (SSD):
- More expensive than hard disk drives: Solid-State Drive (SSD) is more expensive than traditional hard disk because of its speed, As compared with a hard disk drive, a solid-state drive with a similar storage capacity can be twice as expensive, This is one of the primary disadvantages of a solid-state drive.
- Limited storage capacity: Current SSD in the market have limited storage capacity. The maximum storage capacity of Solid-State Drive (SSD) Is 12TB.
What Is Hard Disk Drive (HDD):
Hard disk drive (HDD) is one of the most popular storage devices, Most of the people use Hard Disk Drive as a storage device because is affordable than SSD. A hard disk is actually a set of stacked disks, Every disk has data recorded electromagnetically in HDD, The data in HDD will be maintained for only 6 to 7 years.
Advantages of using Hard Disk Drive (HDD):
- More affordable than SSD: One of the best advantages of a Hard Disk Drive is that it is more affordable than SSD. if you are going to buy a storage device you get a lot of difference in the prize of HDD & SSD, SSD is twice expensive than HDD
- Higher storage capacity than SSD: another advantage of using of using HDD is Hard Disk drive has more capacity than SSD in a lower price.
- HDD is easier to buy: As we all know Hard Disk Drive is used by most the computer user, it’s easily available in any store.
Also Read: Random Access Memory (RAM) explained!
Disadvantages of using Hard Disk Drive (HDD):
- Slow speed: Different type of Hard Disk Drives have different read and write speeds—depending on their respective RPM. but the high speed of hard disk can’t match with the speed of SSD.
- Higher power consumption: The hard disk has a moving part, because of that it consumes more power than SSD. This is another disadvantage of using HDD.
- Produces noise: Hard Disk Drive produce noise while in a use because of the moving part in it. Zero noise is impossible in an HDD, Because of the rotation of the metal platter, SSD does not produce any noise because the data in it is stored in microchips.
Another best article: SSD vs HDD
Which is better SSD or HDD? (HDD vs SSD)
In my opinion, SSD is better than HDD in lots of condition. If you want to build high-speed pc and you have a hight budget SSD is best for you. And if you want a lot of storage in minimum price HDD is Best for you. Its totally depends on you.
Another good option is the Solid-state hybrid drive (SSHD), This is another type of storage device which is the combination of HDD & SDD. In Solid-state hybrid drive (SSHD) you get some part of SSD and some part of HDD. In which your operating system is installed in the SSD and other files will be stored in HDD. This is another good options.
I hope you like this article about SSD vs HDD if you have any question about this topic please comment below.